Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Mini Donut Cake with Marshmallow Nutella Frosting (Rum Chatta Cake)

This is a creation I made not knowing how it would turn out, and I am so glad it did! The cake tastes like a mini donut and the frosting is like a thick glaze. It's the perfect combination of sweetness and richness from the Nutella. 

I always have Betty Crocker Super Moist White Cake mix on hand, I use it a base for most of my cakes and cupcakes. I didn't know what I wanted in my cake so I decided to start with the frosting. I didn't have any cream or enough butter or cream cheese to make a frosting ( our power had been out for four days due to a storm and we lost everything, only replacing necessities ). So my only option was making Seven Minute frosting or a similar style marshmallow frosting. I pulled out my recipe for marshmallow frosting and then remembered I had a jar of marshmallow fluff in my cupboard. Now I just had to decide what to do with it. I looked in my cupboards and found a half jar of Nutella. Perfect! I also knew I had some Rum Chatta ( a delicious creamy cinnamon liquor best served as a single shot ice cold or in your coffee or hot chocolate ). So I decided a cinnamon sugar flavored cake would be perfect! 

I only thought to grab a picture of one piece. You can see the frosting oozing down the side. So yummy!

Recipe:

1 box Betty Crocker Super Moist White Cake mix
3 egg whites
1 1/4 c water
1/3 c vegtable oil
1 tbsp cinnamon
2 oz Rum Chatta

1 small jar Marshmallow Fluff
1/2 jar Nutella
1 oz Rum Chatta
2-3 tsp milk

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray bottom of pan. 

Mix all ingredients in mixer just until there are no more lumps. Pour in pan and follow directions on box for your style of pan. Let cool before you make the frosting. 

For the frosting beat marshmallow fluff and Nutella until well blended. Add Rum Chatta. Add milk 1 tsp at a time until it is like a thick glaze. Frost as soon as you make to ensure you will be able to spread. 

*If the frosting has too much of a liquor flavor for you add more milk to tone it down 1 tsp at a time. 
**To help spread the frosting, pour from one edge and have it flow to the other side by tilting the pan. It may help to have a second set of hands to tilt the pan while you pour. You should be able to spread it with a spatula, but I would recommend using gravity to help and using the spatula to reach the the corners and edges. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...